- Professor of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco (Retired)
- Founder and Director, UCSF Autism Clinic (1989-2012)
- Founder and Executive Director, Autism Center of Northern California (2012-present)
Education and Training
- Ph.D. 1980, Stanford University: Child Development (major)/ Developmental Psychology (minor)
- Four Post-Doctoral Fellowships at Stanford University School of Medicine (1980-1985): Lifespan, Biostatistics, Clinical Research in Psychiatry, Developmental Psychopathology of Autism
- MA, Stanford University (1977) Early Childhood Education
- Statistical modeling of how Autism and Asperger’s gets diagnosed
- Development of the PDDST-II, a Pearson Corp. autism screening test.
- Investigator in American Psychiatric Association’s DSM-III-R and DSM-IV standardization of autism diagnosis,
- Publication of APA treatment of autism chapters in TPD-IV and TPD-V.
Publication of five books on autism by peer reviewed publishers.
- Authorship of over 100 peer-reviewed research articles, research abstracts, and scholarly chapters.
Service to the Autism Community
- In-service training and continuing education (CME / CEU) for physicians, psychologists, teachers, and allied professionals in many states, Canadian provinces, and overseas
- Service on Federal grant review panels
- Service on California Best Practice in Autsim commissions and commission to implement the California ABA mandate